Elliptical vs Treadmill While Pregnant
Many women are trying to figure out which workout is better elliptical vs treadmill workout while pregnant. Doing elliptical exercise or treadmill is not the same during pregnancy. Though they each exercise the body, treadmill requires running or walking when the elliptical has a smoother leg and arm motion.
Elliptical Workout For Pregnant Women
When a woman is pregnant, she must take into consideration that her body is slightly more fragile than she was before the pregnancy. The progesterone hormone, is relaxing the pregnant women’s body tissue, so the pregnancy can develop with the necessary changes. Some of these changes are causing the pregnancy veins symptoms, varicose veins and loose joints.
Advantages of Elliptical Trainers
Elliptical trainers provide a complete low-impact upper and lower body workout that is especially beneficial to someone with arthritis, joint problems or a bad back. They also provide a dual-action motion, the backward stride. This allows for toning of more muscle groups than the traditional forward-only stride of the treadmill. Read more..
Elliptical Workout Is Safer For Pregnant Women
When comparing treadmill vs elliptical machines, the elliptical trainers have an another advantage over treadmills, and it is the safety aspects. For third trimester the elliptical is safer workout than treadmill.
- Treadmill is a high impact workout if you decide to run on it.
- Treadmills can cause knee and ankle injuries.
- Pregnant women face a higher risk of falling from a treadmill because the belt is constantly moving, unlike an elliptical which once you stop, the trainer stops too.
Treadmill Advantages For Pregnant Women
Treadmill have been around for many years, and they just keep getting better. The main advantage of treadmills for pregnant women is that:
- If you are a runner, the elliptical machine will never give you the same ‘running feeling’.
- If you add treadmill accessories for busy moms, you can do workout and read emails or surf the web. It can not be done while on an elliptical trainer.
- Treadmill can be used for mild walking, walking is more easy than elliptical workout at the lowest resistance level.
- Treadmills can be folded. Most home treadmills will fold under the bed or behind the door, an elliptical is an item you will need to see every day in your living room.
Elliptical or Treadmill During Pregnancy
If you were a runner before you became pregnant, than a treadmill will be more useful for you. You will miss the running motion at the third trimester unless you jog on treadmill at home. Do not buy the $1200 treadmills unless you intend to keep running on them after the pregnancy, they are for serious runners.
Surprisingly treadmill is also recommended if you have never run a single step before the pregnancy, because there are more chances you will walk than you will do elliptical workouts.
If you’re an intermediate fitness woman, you may prefer the elliptical trainer, it would be a great workout and a fat burning machine for after the pregnancy.
Elliptical will be your better choice if you have weak joints or overweight pregnancy weight. Elliptical trainers burn more fat, and will help you slow weight gain during pregnancy. Elliptical trainer is safer, and there are less chances to fall off.
There are professional elliptical machines which cost $600-$700 but you do not need those, a simple (preferably folding one) elliptical will be best for you.
>>> Here is low cost – highly rated – ellptical machine (Amazon best seller!)